Educational and Instructional Writing
Vivien Bowers has more than 25 years of experience writing lesson
plans, teacher guides, and reading material designed for learners
from primary to adult. In a former life she was a grade 5
classroom teacher, and her two sons have gone through the
school system. Her work is used in public schools throughout
Educational / Instructional materials written
by Vivien Bowers include:
- Regular contributor of articles to "What in the World?", a monthly current events newletter produced by LesPlan Educational Services Limited, Victoria, BC, for secondary and intermediate students, and distributed across Canada. Also, author of a regular cartoon feature for "Canadian Reader," which is a similar publication designed for younger students.
- The Perfect Smile. All 4-Children
Publishing Ltd., 2003. A gentle, humourous story for children
about a family's visit to the dentist, incorporating descriptions
of common dental procedures.
- Eight modules for B.C. distance education students in grades
4 and 7 (primarily science and social studies material) for the
B.C. Ministry of Education, Distance Education Branch, 1994-1998.
- British Columbia. Grade 4 book,
Canadian Provinces Series. Lerner Publications Ltd., Minneapolis,
- Science Probe 8 and Science
Probe 9 (2nd eds.). 30 1-page features on science-related
topics for these Grade 8 and 9 texts originally published by John
Wiley & Sons Canada, 1993; re-published by Nelson Canada.
- Personal Growth: Humanities Resource Book
(Primary & Intermediate). 37 lesson plans for implementing
the B.C. "Learning for Living" (health/guidance) curriculum. Written
for GT Publishing Services Ltd. for the B.C. Ministry of Education.
- Nelson Intermediate Atlas: Teacher Resource
Book. 20 lesson plans for grades 4-7. For GT Publishing
Services Ltd. Published by Nelson Canada, 1990.
- More Than Meets the Eye: multicultural
unit (Grade 5) for Alternatives to Racism Society, published by
Pacific Educational Press, University of British Columbia, 1989.
- Science & Technology 11: Space Technology
Module (Grade 11) for GT Publishing Services Ltd. on contact
to the B.C. Ministry of Education, 1988.
- Our Land: Building the West (Grade
10) for Gage Educational Publishing, 1987 (co-author).
- Canada: Learning from the Past, Looking
to the Future (Explorations Series: Grade 5) for Douglas
& McIntyre (Educational) Ltd., 1985 (co-author).